I can’t believe it’s December already. I mean, seriously… how can another year be over so quickly? Didn’t we just get used to writing 2011?
I was in a slightly gloomy mood today. How can one help it when the sun starts setting at 4.30 pm! And to top it, I have been a little sick for the past couple of days and have so much work to do! Ugh!
So, what does one do on such days? First, take forever to get out of bed.
Listen to melancholic music.
Drink several pots of tea and coffee. Remember that nice bottle of Madeira you once drank.
Take black and white photographs.
Look at old color-photographs and find that they look better in b&w.
Paint your nails.
Cook rajma-chawal. Look at the sinkful of dishes and briefly consider never cooking again.
But, if you want to feel better, make caramel sauce! It’s so quick and easy and it makes your home smell wonderful! You can make extra and keep it in the refrigerator for several days. Just reheat in the microwave when you need it again.
Recipe from: Laura Calder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Put the sugar in a saucepan with a spoonful of water, and boil till it turns into a golden caramel. It’ll take about 5 minutes. People say that you should never stir the sugar with a spoon, but instead, gently swirl the saucepan over the heat until the desired color. In my experience, even if you stir it, you still get as good a caramel sauce! The only difference is that stirring crystallizes the sugar that’s stuck to the sides of the pan. Also, the sauce can go from caramel to black in a flash, so keep an eye on it.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in the butter till it melts.
- Stir in the cream.
- Laura Calder recommends adding a little lemon juice to balance the sweetness.
- Eat with poached pears/baked apples/cookies/ice-cream/as it is!